Saturday, January 21, 2006

Xgl at last

After many many many failures I managed to install Xgl, which I am now proudly using.
It turns out after all that I should have read the xorg forums a little more extensively.
So here are the steps that I took.

1. Download the appropriate sources from CVS, xserver, Mesa , glxcompmgr, and glitz.
Various tutorials I've seen suggest to use the xlibs from cvs as well but I didn't find it necessary.
2. Apply the patches (found here) on the Mesa tree.
3. Build and install the patched Mesa lib with:
make linux-dri-x86
(you might consider installing it on a different path than your distro's current to avoid conflicts, I chose /usr/GL/patched)
Here things might get tricky. I had to manually remove some build targets from the tree (specifically r200), to get it to compile corectly
4. Build and install cvs glitz (you'll need it for the Xgl server, but if your distro doesnt come with a default implementation I suggest to install it on a different directory, I chose /usr/glxcompmgr/)
5. Build and install cvs xserver as this:
./configure --prefix=/some/other/path --enable-xglserver --enable-glx --with-mesa-source=/path/to/patched/mesa/source
6. Build and install glxcompmgr

OK that's about it. Now you can play with your new Xgl server, just remember that glxcompgr needs to run against the patched Mesa lib that you previously installed so use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to link it against it.
One more thing. You should better create ~/.glxcomp/plugins in your home directory and copy the plugins there. I think that that should not have happened and I suffered from it because I installed glxcompmgr in a different path than /usr...

Right now the only plugins that I managed to use were wobbly and shadow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Point 2 : You say "here", but there is no link to click for download... :/

some screenshots maybe ?

denis

Elias said...

Ooops my bad there, my post is now updated, thanks for the heads up ;)